Sunday, February 7, 2010

Finding Balance & New Year's Resolutions

To date, this has been one of the more difficult issues that I have had to deal with as a new mom. Just as I was finding a balance between work and personal life, along came my beautiful little boy - who now takes up almost every moment of every day! How do you strike a balance between baby, couple time, personal time, work, fitness, household chores, etc - has anyone actually found a way to fit it all in within a 7 day period - without needing to skip sleeping a couple nights a week?!

Now that we are in February, I have been trying to take inventory of which of my New Year's Resolutions I have been able to maintain. Several of my New Year's resolutions included getting together with friends at least once a week, working out 3 times a week, cooking dinner at least 5 times per week as well as date night at least twice a month. My main goals have been to create more of a social life - I tend to be somewhat of a work-aholic. Now some weeks I am very productive and I just breeze through it all - morning workouts, play dates, chicken pot pie, and cleaning the bathrooms! But then the next week I am so exhausted from the week before that nothing seems to get accomplished!

Another issue is that I love schedules and routines. I am all about scheduling everything - just making a schedule helps me feel more productive and organized. But, as I am sure many of you know, schedules and babies just do not mix very well. It seems every time I plan out a full day, Ewan will be up all night or just simply have plans of his own and then the whole week will be thrown off.

So, do you have any tricks or suggestions about how to fit it all in, I would love to have some new inspiration!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds very familar indeed :) I too love to schedule, and make lists and plan. I love the feeling of crossing things of my to do list. I love how simple it all looks in my pink planner. Real Life is not so pink and pretty :) The thing that makes me feel the best is this: Each day I pick one thing that is a must for me...is it getting the groc done, or is making a soup...as long as I get that one thing done that day I feel good.
    Also, I like to look at my kids at the end of the day...are they happy...are we happy...we had a tea party today and the dishes are not done. In the past I would be anxious about the dishes but today I look back and think...EXCELLENT TEA PARTY :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoying your blog, Lindsay! I completely understand how some days/weeks (even hours) are much more productive than others. I find the VERY productive days a bonus, and the days where my family is dressed, happy, fed and well rested I consider a success! I'm constantly reminding myself to keep my expectations reasonable and that keeps me from getting stressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I do need to start just appreciating that we are dressed, fed and out the door for work and anything else that day is a bonus! I also like the idea of focusing on getting one thing done that day - a lot more manageable than trying to tackle a to do list all in one day.

    ReplyDelete